Thursday, May 3, 2012

Survival Communities


I’m sure most of us have heard the dreaded words, “I’ll just come to your house” when trying to convert the masses to the advisability of prepping. How do you handle it? How do you choose who to help? Do you help your parents? Your in-laws? What about your ex-wife/husband? What about your ex’s new spouse? How about those 8 little boys that were spending the night at your house when the world as we knew it came to an end? Where do you draw the line?

My best advice is if the situation is short term- like a hurricane, tornado, loved ones injury or job loss. Help them all you can. Take them food. Loan out that generator that you’re not using. Share your garden skills. It may help change how they view prepping.

If it is TEOTWAWKI you may need to reevaluate.

I love my family. I love my husband’s family. They all own guns. Most of them hunt and garden. We’re country folk. They would be assets in an end of the world situation but I also know that I can not spend the day with them without wanting to pull my hair out. The idea of living in the same house with them INDEFINETLY???…..makes me shudder just to consider the possibility. Somebody would die, not joking it would come to a physical fight. My family puts the fun in dysfunctional. There is no way that that would add to my family’s survival. Me staying sane will add to my family’s survival.

I belong to several prepper groups online and I see a lot of topics about starting prepper communities. I think in theory they are great ideas! I see those same members get into outrageous and ridiculous fights on stupid, simple disagreements (what shovel to buy, what seeds to plant). If you can’t agree online, on little things; how do they plan on surviving when living in close, stressful proximity to one another? Who will be Boss? Who’s going to cook, do the laundry, watch the kids, hunt, garden, dig the latrines? Is everybody going to take turns? Is it share and share alike? Ever been in a preschool class where there are 3 new toys and 10 kids? Do you remember that new cutie from high school that everybody liked? Let the tantrums and back stabbing begin!

My oldest children (both 18) no longer live in my home because they couldn’t live by my rules. Will that magically go away when the SHTF? You’re delusional if you think disaster will bring out the best in people. If you don’t think you could go camping for the weekend in the August heat with everyone you hope to provide for, how will you fare when you can’t go home and take a break from all of the togetherness? And if you think it will be terrific or that it would all work itself out, I encourage you to try that weekend campout. Good luck!!! (you’re gonna need it)

Surviving alone is not an option either. Who’s going to keep watch while you sleep? Communities of like minded people were, are and always will be the safest approach. So how do you make it work? Find people you LIKE and get along with. Got one that has the “If I can’t be the Quarterback then I’m taking my football and going home” mentality? Figure that out now and weed them out before it’s too late. You wouldn’t give someone your car keys without making sure they knew how to drive. Why would you give your safety and security to a group without first making sure that they know what they are doing? Like with all things prepping related PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!

No comments:

Post a Comment